Spring Gardens Lane, Keighley BD20 6LH
t 01535 618 231
Cliffe Castle was originally the home of Henry Butterfield, a prominent Victorian textile manufacturer. Completed in 1880, it was renowned for its collection of decorative art. The house became a museum in the 1950s after being bought by a local philanthropist.
In need of restoration, it received Heritage Lottery funding, which included restoration of the glasshouse. This has been redeveloped with help from BCSS Bradford branch which has advised on the temporary storage of plants, and on composts and scenery for the new beds. They have also supplied additional plants as well as a team to assist in the replanting. The work was completed in March 2018.
Nearest BCSS Branch
Meetings are held in Saltaire. Please see the branch website for meeting dates and programme.
A Member’s View
It is still early days for the new greenhouse collection but please do try to pay a visit and support the local branch in their endeavours.